Thursday, October 18, 2007

So..

Dr. Harney is a legend! I SO wanna be an opththalmologist now!

"Argyll-Robertson Pupil; like a prostitute - accomodates but doesn't react.."

She was giving us a tutorial keratitis today.. She told us about when she gave birth to her second child and the baby's eye was stuck (Gonococcal opththalmae neonatorum - a complication of gonorrhoea) and Prof. Loftus, our current Dean, holding the baby and looking at her. How embarrassing would that be if that was what the baby had :P Turns out the baby had a blocked lacrimal gland..

And that brought her to another story :P When she was doing bacteriology as a student, they all had to do throat swabs on each other. One of her classmates (who's now working in the hospital) got a call from Dr. Corbett-Feeney; saying he had Group B Strep in his throat... Group B Strep is normal flora of the female genital tract :P

These are funny stories right? Haha.. Maybe only to med students? I don't know.. I thought they were hilarious - and so did the rest of the class ;)

That's not the reason I wanna do ophthalmology :P Wait.. Do I really want to? It does seem fun :) And I could try my hand at teaching as well - I'm so inspired :) She's such a great teacher.. And you get to use lasers!! Blip! Blip!

Anywho, time to get back to studying - I got my ophthalmology exam tomorrow :P

4 comments:

linda_tjo4 said...

LOL!!!
u have such cool lecturer.. i also want..kekeke... but looking at eyes for my whole life.. nah...hehehe...

Stacey said...

Hahaha yeahhh she's BRILLIANT! Kinda miss her now :( We just started our GP attachment which is soooo much fun too! We've been doing loads of tutorials and stuff - so much fun :) I think its the group I'm in :) We all just click :D

Mel said...

She's great.. you can never find another lecturer as enthusiastic as her good self.. Did she tell you that she actually rang Mr Kinsella to have a good look at her dog's eyes? He diagnosed the dog with Retinitis Pigmentosa!! Haha

Stacey said...

Hahahahaha!!! That's hilarious!!! Aaaahhhh.. I miss her la!