Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I sleepwalk!

"Stacey, did you know you sleepwalk?"

No I didn't know :( Apparently I suddenly got up and said "Wait ah! Wait ah!" in a panick and then bumbled around my room before I went back to bed..

My witness? Esther's ears - she heard me through the thin wall separating our rooms..

I don't want to sleepwalk :( Something bout not being in control and literally, not knowing what you're doing.. I don't want to wake up one day outside my room - outside the house and left wondering what I was doing out there..

My mummy suggested I locked my room door, so that - in theory - I would wake up before I ended up outside my room..

"Maybe you were dreaming?"
"Erm yeah, dreaming (in your sleep) and walking = sleep walking?"

Maybe it happened because I was really tired? Haven't been getting enough sleep lately..

Lets look for a scientific reason..

Sleepwalking (a.k.a. Somnambulism)

It can occur during REM sleep near morning.

The cause of sleep walking in children is usually unknown but may be related to fatigue, prior sleep loss, or anxiety.

Sleep walking in adults can be associated with mental disorders, reactions to drugs and alcohol, or medical conditions such as partial complex seizures.

In the elderly, sleep walking may be a symptom of an organic brain syndrome or REM behavior disorders.

Prevention:
- Avoid fatigue or insomnia, because this can instigate an episode of sleep walking.
- Avoid or minimize stress, anxiety, and conflict, which can worsen the condition.

Cool :)

5 comments:

adriantai said...

my advice:
wear clothes to sleep... dun wanna wake up and find out that u'r in the middle of the town stark naked and scaring everyone... :)

locks might not be that useful. i think if u can sleepwalk, u'd probably be sleep-unlock-doors too.

seriously, maybe you're just too stressed out. Have a rest. Sleep more! ;) heh heh...

Stacey said...

Hahaha, what makes you think I don't wear clothes to sleep?

Yeah, think I'm going to hire a bodyguard soon ;) No lah, I think its just a one-off thing that happens very infrequently ;P My dad told me yesterday that I used to sleep-walk when I was younger..

Been having more sleep since then - no sleepwalking 2 nights in a row :)

adriantai said...

ok, sorry... what i meant was "make sure u wear clothes to sleep". clothes u dun mind wearing in public...

heh heh...

i know i definitely dun wanna be caught in public with clothes i wear to sleep. no, i dun wear any 'funny' stuffs...

but i think sleepwalking can be dangerous...

Stacey said...

Yeah it can be..

But yeah - doesn't seem right now to be a big problem for me. So, I'll just leave it for now :)

Stacey said...

Hahaha, I don't think I sleep-talk that often though! Hehe.. Your English is great! Yeah, I'm studying here - but I'm from Malaysia :) Nice to meet you!